If you’re feeling overwhelmed by choices and decisions, tarot can be a helpful tool to guide you in the right direction.
You can use tarot to gain clarity in moments of need. You might have heard about tarot spreads for decision-making, but there are other ways the tarot can also help.
In this article, you will find my favorite tarot techiques to gain clarity when your mind is racing. I have used them for years in my tarot reading practice when clients are at crossroads. Tarot can truly be a compass when you need it the most.
Method #1: decision-making tarot spreads
Decision-making tarot spreads are useful because they allow you to tap into your intuition and gain a deeper understanding of your options. They are also very hands-on and are suitable for beginners to advanced readers,
When you’re faced with a difficult decision, it can be helpful to take a step back and gain a fresh perspective. Tarot spreads can help you do this by providing new information and insights you may not have considered before.
Decision-making tarot spreads typically consist of a set of cards that are chosen and arranged in a specific pattern. Each card represents a different aspect of the decision-making process, such as options and potential outcomes,
By interpreting the cards in the spread, you can gain a more holistic view of your situation and make a more informed decision.
It’s important to remember that tarot is not a magic solution for all your problems, and the readings should be interpreted as suggestions and not as absolute truths. It’s also important to approach tarot readings with an open mind and an intention to learn and grow rather than seeking specific answers or outcomes.
I don’t like tarot spreads that tell you “yes” or “no.” It removes your agency and strips you of your right to choose a path.
You have everything at your disposal; you only need insights and new perspectives.
In the article below, you will find lots of useful spreads and information about tarot spreads for direction and clarity.
Related article: Tarot spreads for life direction
Decision-making tarot spread
The Option Tarot Spread is a powerful tarot spread for direction and guidance. The four-card tarot spread targets option A and B, the outcome of doing nothing at all, and general advice on how to find clarity (or Spirit Advice if you want to).
- Outcome if you choose option A
- Outcome if you choose option B
- Outcome if you do nothing at all
- General advice or Spirit Advice
Even if tarot spreads are powerful, it is also advised to prepare by grounding and focusing to gain the most helpful answers; if you want to learn how to prepare for a successful tarot reading, I invite you to read the article below.
Related article: Get the most out of your tarot reading: 5 ways to prepare
Method #2: meditation on a tarot card
When you’re faced with a decision, tarot can provide you with guidance by helping you to clarify your thoughts and feelings.
This method is suitable for intermediate to advanced readers as reading cards without a set spread can be harder. You must also know the card enough to picture it with your eyes closed.
Meditation on tarot cards is a great way to access information hidden deep within. We often know what to do, but the Ego or other factors try to influence us to make decisions harder.
By exploring the hidden knowledge, you can gain deeper insight into your motivations, desires, and fears and a clearer understanding of the factors shaping your decision-making process.
If you feel comfortable doing so, you can meditate on your identificator card or the card that stands out in the spread.
How to meditate on a tarot card for clarity
- Choose a tarot card you’re drawn to, representing the situation or you.
- Find a quiet, peaceful space where you won’t be disturbed. Sit or lie comfortably and take a few deep breaths to help you relax.
- Hold the tarot card before you, or place it on a table. Focus on the imagery and symbolism on the card. Take your time to study each detail and allow your mind to wander.
- Close your eyes and visualize the tarot card in your mind’s eye. See the colors, the shapes, and the images. Imagine yourself stepping into the card and experiencing the scene depicted.
- Imagine how you step in front of the person depicted on the card. How does it feel? What do they say? Imagine the temperature, the scents, and how the scenery looks beyond the “card’s frame.” What do you want to ask the person depicted on the card?
- Ask yourself questions about the card. What does it mean to you? What emotions does it evoke? What message do you feel it’s trying to convey to you? Let your intuition guide you.
- Allow yourself to receive any information or insight that comes to you. You may receive a visual image, a feeling, or a thought. Trust that the information you receive is relevant and important to you.
- When you feel ready, slowly open your eyes. Take a few deep breaths and write down any thoughts, feelings, or insights you received during meditation.
Remember, meditation on tarot cards is a personal and intuitive experience, so there’s no right or wrong way. The most important thing is to approach it with an open mind and heart and trust the process.
Method #3: intuitive reading
A powerful way to access guidance and direction from the tarot is by using your intuition. Draw three cards and let the story of the cards guide you,
This method suits intermediate to advanced tarot readers as you must create a flowing storyline from your cards without a set spread.
How to do a three-card intuitive tarot reading
- Get comfortable: Find a peaceful space where you won’t be disturbed. Sit comfortably and take a few deep breaths to help you relax.
- Shuffle your tarot deck: Hold your tarot deck in your hands and shuffle the cards until you feel that the deck’s energy has been shuffled enough.
- Ask your question: Before you draw your cards, take a moment to focus on what you want to learn or gain insights about. Formulate your question and visualize yourself getting your answer from within.
- Draw your cards: Pick three cards from the deck, one at a time. As you draw each card, focus on the question you have asked, and pay attention to any thoughts, feelings, or sensations that come up for you.
- Interpret the cards: Take some time to look at each of the three cards you have drawn. Consider the symbolism, imagery, and meaning of each card. Trust your intuition as you look at each card and see what insights come to you.
- Read the story: Look at the three cards in the order you have placed them and try to see the story they are telling. Consider how each card relates to the others and what insights they may offer.
- Reflect and write down your insights: Take a few moments to reflect on the insights you have received from your tarot reading. Write down any thoughts, feelings, or insights that came up for you.
Remember, tarot readings are a personal and intuitive experience, and there’s no right or wrong way to do them. The most important thing is to approach them with an open mind and heart and to trust in the process.
When dealing with decision-making, I tend to look for reversals; they might indicate the information you have stored inside that can help you decide.
Reversals can be read in many ways, and no way is better; I tend to read them as information or energy in the inner realm (internal energies).
As it usually is, external factors or influences make decisions hard; you can easily see what is influencing you and what your inner voice says,
Upright card: External factor that tries to influence our decision.
Reversed card: Inner truths that might be hard to hear
As always, life is not black and white, and making every decision to fit your needs or wishes can be impossible. But it is easier to make decisions when we know why we make them. It is easier to make sacrifices when we know we do it because of X, Y, or Z.
If you want to learn more about revered tarot cards, I invite you to explore the article below,
Further reading: Reversed Tarot Cards: What They Are And How To Read Them
Ultimately, tarot can be a valuable tool for anyone looking to make important life decisions and can help you make choices that align with your true self and bring you closer to the life you want to live.
So if you’re feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about a decision, consider turning to tarot for guidance and support. Remember, though, that you have the final say in your decisions.
The tarot can get new perspectives on situations and shake a stale mindset. Never give away your agency and right to choose your path.
THE DEFINITIONS IN THIS ARTICLE ARE BASED ON THE RIDER WAITE DECK AND SYSTEM.
- Soul’s Journey: Meaning of Major Arcana CardsNot sure what the Major Arcana tarot cards mean? No worries, in this article, you learn everything you need to know, and more!
- Unveiling Infidelity: 10 Tarot Cards Speak OutFind out if the tarot cards indicate infidelity. I share the top 10 cards, card combos, and what suit you should look out for.