Preparing yourself by grounding and collecting your mind and emotions is critical to a successful tarot reading. In this article, we will take a look at five great ways to prepare for a helpful and successful tarot reading when you read the cards yourself,
As tarot has no set rules, every reader creates a unique preparation ritual. The goal is often the same: to create a sacred space and a feeling of focus and calm. With experience, you naturally create a ritual that fits your style and vibe.
By following these five tips, you can ensure that you get the most out of your tarot reading and gain valuable insights into your life and future. At the end of the article, you will also find a step-by-step guide on preparing for your reading; let’s begin!
#1: Set a clear intention
Before the reading, take some time to reflect on what you hope to gain from experience and what questions you would like the tarot to answer. This will help you get the most out of the reading.
You set your intention by focusing on what you want to get out of your reading; meditate or take a few breaths while thinking about the goal of the reading.
A clear intention can, for example, be to gain insights into a situation, get answers about future events, or allow my intuition to receive messages from the Ether.
Here are a few examples of what you can use as intentions for your reading:
- Open the heart to receive any messages
- Allow my intuition to receive messages from the Ether
- Get answers or insights
- Get guidance or direction
- Only interact with Spirits of Light
By having a clear intention, you can direct the energy of the tarot reading toward a specific outcome, which can help bring forth more relevant and accurate information.
Additionally, having a clear intention also helps you interpret the cards more meaningfully, as you can understand the context and relationship between each card in relation to your intention.
In short, setting a clear intention allows you to make the most out of your tarot reading and receive the guidance and insight you seek.
Cleansing your tarot deck, yourself, and the space before a tarot reading can bring you several significant benefits. The goal of cleansing is to remove negative or unwanted energies that might negatively affect the reading.
Below you will find the most critical aspect of why it might be beneficial to cleanse before a reading.
- Cleansing the deck: Your tarot cards might absorb energy from their surroundings and those handling them. Cleansing the deck can help remove any negative or unwanted energies that may have accumulated, leading to more precise readings.
- Cleansing yourself: As the reader, it is important to be in a calm and clear state of mind. Cleansing yourself through meditation, visualization, or other practices can help release stress or negative energy and focus your mind on the reading. Cleansing will also help you balance your energies.
- Cleansing the space: Creating a peaceful and serene environment for the reading sets the tone and protects the energy of the reading from outside distractions or negative influences.
In conclusion, cleansing the tarot deck, yourself, and the space before a tarot reading can create a harmonious and focused energy, leading to more meaningful and accurate readings for you.
It is always good to remember that you don’t have to cleanse your deck or space if you don’t want to. It is all up to your personal preference.
If you want to learn how to cleanse your home, Claudette Beaulieu as a great article about how to use selenite to cleanse your home (friendlyspecter,com)I love using selenite to keep a great vibe in my home.
How to cleanse your deck before a tarot reading
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you cleanse your tarot deck before a reading. The most straightforward technique is by using salt. You don’t need any fancy salt; table salt is perfect, and most have this stashed at home,
- Gather materials: You will need a bowl of table salt and your tarot deck. A white candle is optional.
- Set the mood: Find a quiet and peaceful place where you won’t be disturbed. Lighting a candle or playing soft music creates a calming atmosphere.
- Cleanse the deck: Hold the tarot deck and imagine removing negative or unwanted energy. Sprinkle the tarot deck it with salt.
- Cleanse yourself: Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Imagine yourself surrounded by a bright white light representing positive energy. Allow this light to cleanse you of any negative energy or distractions.
- Cleanse the space: Sprinkle salt in each room corner to purify the space.
- Give thanks: Once you have finished cleansing, give thanks for the guidance and insights the tarot reading will bring.
- Start the reading: Shuffle the deck and commence the reading.
Following these steps, you can cleanse your tarot deck, yourself, and the space, creating a harmonious and focused energy for your tarot reading. This can lead to more meaningful and accurate readings.
If you want to learn more about cleaning your deck with salt, I invite you to read the article below.
Related article: How to cleanse your tarot deck with salt
#3: Relax and clear your mind
As part of preparing for a tarot reading, it’s important to take the time to focus and clear your mind. There are several benefits of relaxing and clearing your mind before a reading.
Focused attention: Focusing on the tarot cards and the messages they bring forward becomes easier when you have a clear intention. This can help to deepen your understanding of the reading and the insights you receive.
Better understanding: Taking the time to reflect on your intention and focus your mind allows you to approach the tarot reading better and understand what you hope to gain. This can help to enhance the overall experience and lead to more accurate and insightful readings.
So before diving into a tarot reading, take a moment to reflect on your intention and clear your mind. This simple step can make all the difference in the outcome and accuracy of the reading.
How to focus and clear your mind
- Meditate: Meditation can help calm the mind, release stress, and focus energy. You can meditate for a few minutes or longer.
- Take deep breaths: Deep breathing can help to calm the mind and body, reducing stress and allowing you to feel more relaxed. Try taking slow, deep breaths and holding each one for a few seconds before exhaling.
- Visualize: Visualization can be a powerful tool to help you focus and relax. Imagine a peaceful scene, such as a beach or a forest, and let your mind wander there for a few minutes.
- Play calming music: Soothing music can help calm the mind and reduce stress. Choose music that you find relaxing and helps you feel more centered.
- Write down your thoughts: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can help to clear your mind and focus your energy. You can write in a journal or on paper, focusing on your intention for the tarot reading.
By being relaxed and focused, you can make the most of your tarot reading and receive the guidance and insights you seek.
#4: CHOOSE THE RIGHT TAROT DECK
Choosing the right tarot deck is important in preparing for a tarot reading. If you don’t have a deck you like or resonate with, you will have difficulty allowing your intuition to flow.
- Personal connection: The right tarot deck will resonate with you and feel like an extension of your own intuition. This can help to deepen your connection to the cards and enhance the accuracy of the readings.
- Style and symbolism: Tarot decks come in many different styles and designs, each with unique symbolism. Choosing a deck that appeals to your taste and resonates with your beliefs can help bring more meaning and context to the readings.
- Accuracy: Different tarot decks can focus on different aspects of life or interpret the same cards differently. Choosing a deck that aligns with your needs or intentions can lead to more accurate and relevant readings.
- Comfort level: Some tarot decks may have artwork or symbolism that makes you uncomfortable or distracted. Choosing a deck you feel comfortable with can help reduce stress and anxiety during the reading, allowing you to focus on the conveyed messages.
By choosing the right tarot deck, you can create a strong connection with the cards, allowing you to receive the guidance and insights you seek during your tarot reading.
My go-to tarot deck is the Original Rider-Waite deck. I use other decks as well, but I often resort to this deck intuitively; it is also the deck that I use when reading the cards for clients,
How to choose the right tarot deck
Here are some steps to choose the right tarot deck for you. It is important to use a deck that resonates with your vibe and needs,
- Research: Research different tarot decks to see which appeal to you and align with your beliefs and interests. Look at each deck’s artwork, symbolism, and interpretations to determine the best fit.
- Consider your intention: Think about what you hope to gain from tarot cards and what aspects of life you want to focus on. Some decks may be more geared towards self-discovery, while others focus more on relationships or careers.
- Seek recommendations: Ask other tarot readers or spiritual practitioners for their recommendations. They may have experience with different decks and be able to offer insights into which one may be right for you.
- Try it out: If you are unsure about a deck, try reading it a few times. Please take note of your experience and how it feels to work with the cards. If the deck doesn’t feel right, you can try a different one.
- Rider-Waite Tarot Deck: If you are a beginner, I highly recommend using the Original Rider-Waite deck, as you can find lots of information about the deck and card meanings online.
By following these steps and trusting your intuition, you can choose a tarot deck that resonates with you and supports your intention to use the cards. With the right deck, you can receive more accurate and meaningful readings.
Related article: Are all tarot decks the same?
#5: Write down your questions
Writing down your questions before a tarot reading is an important step in the preparation process. I use a special notebook or use my tarot journal to keep track of all my readings. There are lots of benefits to writing down your question beforehand,
- Clarity: Writing down your questions can help you clarify your thoughts and focus on what you want to know. This can lead to more specific and meaningful answers from the tarot cards.
- Organization: Keeping your questions organized and written down can help track what you have already asked and what answers you have received. This can be especially helpful if you are doing multiple readings or need to refer back to previous readings for comparison.
- Reflection: Writing down your questions can also be a form of self-reflection. By thinking about what you want to know and why, you can gain a deeper understanding of your thoughts and motivations.
By writing down your questions before a tarot reading, you can increase the clarity and focus of your readings, gain deeper insights into your thoughts and motivations, and create a more structured and meaningful experience with the tarot cards.
Step-by-Step Guide to Preparing for a Tarot Reading
Here is a step-by-step tarot ritual to help you prepare yourself for a reading:
- Create a sacred space: Find a quiet, comfortable place where you will not be disturbed. You may want to light candles, burn incense, or play soft music to create a calming atmosphere.
- Cleanse yourself: Take a few deep breaths and allow yourself to relax. You may want to wash your hands or shower to cleanse yourself physically, or you may choose to use visualization or meditation to cleanse yourself mentally.
- Cleanse your tarot deck: Hold it in your hands and visualize a white light surrounding it, purifying it of any negative energy. You may also place the deck in moonlight or sprinkle it with salt to further cleanse it.
- Write down your questions: Take a moment to think about what you want to know and why. Write down your questions clearly and concisely to help focus your reading.
- Focus on your intention: Hold your tarot deck and set your intention for the reading. Visualize yourself, opening yourself to the guidance and insights the cards may provide.
- Shuffle the cards: Spend a few moments shuffling the cards, allowing your energy to mix with theirs. Trust that the cards you draw will be what you need to see now.
Following this tarot ritual, you can create a calm and sacred space for your reading, purify yourself and your tarot deck of negative energy, focus your intention, and prepare yourself to receive guidance and insights from the tarot cards.
There are no right or wrong ways of preparing for a tarot reading. The most important thing is that you vibe with it. Depending on your belief system, you might cleanse the deck or not. It is all up to you,
Be sure to ground, clear your mind, and focus on the question you want answers to. This is the most important step for helpful reading. A scattered mind will not be able to grasp the answers from the tarot.
THE DEFINITIONS IN THIS ARTICLE ARE BASED ON THE RIDER WAITE DECK AND SYSTEM.
- Tarot Court Cards: What They AreNot sure what tarot court cards are or look like? No worries, in this article, you learn everything you need to know to identify and understand them.
- 5 Powerful Tarot Spreads for Dream InterpretationThe 5 most potent tarot spreads for interpreting your dreams. A list of common symbols is included.